Coaches, ADs, and Principals,
Hi, my name is Tommy Maguire and I’m the head cross-country coach at Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia. I know that many cross-country coaches and athletic directors have started to plan for the fall cross-country season. I would like to take a moment to invite you and your team to participate in the 13th Annual “Knights Crossing” cross-country invitational on Saturday September 10th in beautiful Green Hill Park in Roanoke County.
Last year’s invitational included 58 high schools, 42 middle schools, and 9 elementary schools. There were well over 1,500 runners represented from five states. Out of state schools included: Tennessee’s (Morristown West & University School of Johnson City), North Carolina’s (Broughton & Watauga), West Virginia’s (Greenbrier East, & Hurricane), and Georgia’s (Milton).
Last year’s race included 24 girls with personal bests faster than 20 minutes for the 5k. 7 of those girls broke 19 minutes. There were also 36 boys with personal bests faster than 17 minutes with 3 under 16 minutes.
The following teams that participated in last year’s Knights Crossing also went on to race in their state meets.
6A Boys Milton (Georgia)
6A Girls Milton (Georgia)
4A Boys Broughton & Watauga (North Carolina)
3A Girls Morristown West (Tennessee)
3A Boys Hurricane (West Virginia)
3A Girls Hurricane (West Virginia)
1A-2A Girls University School of Johnson City (Tennessee)
4A Girls E.C. Glass, Jefferson Forest, & Sherando (Virginia)
4A Boys Sherando
3A Girls Blacksburg, Christiansburg, & Rockbridge (Virginia)
3A Boys Blacksburg, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, & Turner Ashby (Virginia)
2A Girls Floyd, Grayson Co, & James River (Virginia)
2A Boys Floyd, Robert E. Lee, James River, & Giles (Virginia)
1A Girls Auburn & Galax (Virginia)
1A Boys Auburn & Galax (Virginia)
* Five years ago we introduced the private/small school championship race. This 2nd championship race allows for more schools to compete for team titles.
* Last year we divided the very popular middle school division made up of over 500 runners into both a men and women’s race. This brings our total up to 10 races offer over the course of the day.
*This year will be our 4th year using IPICO chip timing provided by Coach Loesel and the Cave Spring timing crew. Last year we also added a new Finish Lynx camera for additional backup. New this year will be providing race clocks at both the 1 and 2 mile.
- Please see attachment for additional information on this year’s Knights Crossing Cross-Country Invitational. Also up to date information can be found at http://www.knightsrunning.com/ Look under Knights Crossing.
- If you and your team are interested in attending please send me an email.
- Good luck to all coaches with the rest of your outdoor track seasons. We hope to see you on September 10th.
For all teams staying overnight here is a list of hotels we recommend.
#1 Recommended with team rates of $89.00 dollars. Say you are attending 2017 Knights Crossing.
Comfort Suites Inn @ Ridgewood Farm
2898 Keagy Rd, Salem 24153
* If you have any issues ask to talk with Kim
Comfort Suites Inn
100 Wildwood Rd, Salem 24153
179 Sheraton Dr. (540) 562-1912
Holiday Inn Express
1535 East Main Street (540) 986-1000
1886 Electric Road (540) 776-6500